Short Term Let Licensing Information
On 19th January 2022, the Scottish Government passed the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Short-term Lets) Order 2022. The council is currently in the process of preparing the licensing scheme. This is due to be launched no later than 1st October 2022.
- Existing Hosts and Operators:
Existing hosts that have been trading on or before 30th September 2022 may continue to accept bookings after 1st October 2022. However, they must apply for a licence by 1st April 2023.
Update - December 2022 - The council recognises the intention by the Scottish Government to extend the application deadline for existing hosts to the 1st October 2023. We await confirmation of this, which is anticipated to be around mid-March for the decision.
Update - March 2023 - Six-month extension approved
Existing short-term let hosts and operators will have more time to apply for a licence after parliament approved a six-month extension.
MSPs voted in favour of extending the timeframe for the short-term let licensing scheme for existing hosts only.
It means that businesses which were already operating as a short-term let before 1 October 2022 have up until 1 October 2023 to apply for a short-term let licence. New hosts still need a licence before they can start operating.
There are four types of licence for short-term let accommodation:
- Secondary letting - The letting of property where you do not normally live, for example a second home that is let to guests
- Home letting - Using all or part of your own home for short-term lets, whilst you are absent. An example of this could be whilst you are on holiday
- Home sharing - Using all or part of your own home for short-term lets, whilst you are there
- Home letting and home sharing - Operating short-term lets from your own home while you are living there and for periods when you are absent
For full details of the short term let licensing scheme in Fife, and to apply for a license please visit Short term lets | Fife Council
Scottish Government Guidance for hosts and operators can also be found here.
You can download slides from the Fife Council Short Term Let Licence Webinar below:
You can find a short term let factsheet and FAQs here